Tuesday 15 July 2008

Where I stand

As I wrote in my first post, this blog is intended to deal with some societal issues in the Charedi world, and although I live within in (mostly), I can;t say I fully identify with all 'official' Charedi positions. My starting point is Orthodox Judaism. It's not that I believe you can prove it, or that there aren't lot's of good kashyes, or that many of the criticisms of it don't have a point, but rather that this is my emunah, this is how I desire to conduct my life, and as far as I'm concerned-it's true and relevant. That said, I'm definitely on the liberal side of Orthodox Jewish beliefs, although on the Conservative side of Orthodox practice. I'm for integrating academic scholarship and accomadating it wherever possible-but I believe that Halocho is the be all and end all-any movement not claiming fealty to it in its entirety has not right to call itself Orthodox.
I think the MO world has lot's of maalos, but, in ym experience, the charedi world has two things which cause me to stick with it, despite all my issues. Firstly, the emphasis on limmud hatorah, and the development of true talmidei chachomim. From my experience, apart from in elite circles in the MO world, the level of 'learning' is incomparable. Secondly, Charedism is good at creating strong kehillos, where everyone within them is generally mitzva observant. I have found that in the MO world, the elite are often unsuccessful at creating full kehillos of likeminded people who are committed in the same way that your average charedi kehilla is.

No comments: